Job Posting: Kontak Gay Men’s Outreach Coordinator
(16 or 32 hours per week, negotiable)
AIDS Community Care Montreal is looking for a Kontak Gay Men’s Outreach Coordinator to join our team! Kontak (kontak.ca) is a harm-reduction based distribution service for gay men in Montreal, delivering safer sex supplies, toys, and safer drug-use materials. We provide information, counselling, and support at events, clubs, and sex parties. We are available to talk about testing, drug use, access to care, risk, mental health, and maintaining a healthy sex life. You will:
- Reach out to gay men at sex parties, bars, clubs, and other spaces where gay men hang out.
- Provide interventions to gay men wanting to talk about their sex lives and partying.
- Liaise with party organizers, bar managers, and community leaders. You will assume an active role in the gay community to promote harm reduction and access to safer sex and drug-use materials.
- Lead project-based outreach on behalf of ACCM at events, including Fierté, Black & Blue and other initiatives.
- Engage in online outreach with gay men, including dating apps and social media.
Our ideal candidate:
- Has strong ties to the gay community in Montreal. You are comfortable in and knowledgeable about gay male sexual spaces, including bathhouses, sex parties, campgrounds, and the bars in Montreal’s Gay Village.
- Has demonstrated experience in counselling and intervention. You are empathetic, kind, and a strong listener. You have a fervent belief in harm reduction, and a proven history of practicing harm reduction-based interventions.
- Is knowledgeable about sexual health. You have fundamental knowledge of HIV, HepC, STBBIs, ACCM, GIPA, Montreal’s queer and trans communities, drug use, and the social drivers of health.
- Is knowledgeable about safer drug-use and harm reduction strategies. You are comfortable doing interventions with people who are drug users or who are presently using. Personal experience using drugs an asset.
- Has a history of online outreach, online interventions (Grindr, Scruff, BBRT), and communicating through social media (Twitter, Facebook). As an asset, you have experience in graphic design.
- Positively adds to the life of ACCM. You are a team player with a desire to help the organization be the best it can be. You are flexible in your duties and working methods, and enjoy working collaboratively with a diverse group of people. You believe in the organization’s mission and values, and will act as an ambassador for ACCM to our internal and external partners and external committees.
- Is comfortable grant writing, fundraising, and networking in the gay community. You can work a room, and are an excellent representative for ACCM at public events. You take initiative when it comes to funding your program through sponsorship, individual giving, and grant proposals.
- Perfectly fluent in French and English (written and spoken).
We are looking for an exciting addition to our team. To apply, please send us your CV as well as a letter outlining your experience in the gay community, approach to harm-reduction based interventions, non-profit experience, and your ideas about expanding our gay men’s outreach. All applications must have precise salary expectations. Applications without these criteria will not be considered. Applications can be made in confidence to Matthew Halse, Executive Director, on behalf of Cassandre Poblah at email@example.com before August 19, 2016.
People living with HIV or HepC are actively encouraged to apply for this role.